Tuesday 9 February 2016

Eggs. Pancakes. Collage. [Honestly, I have nothing better than this for a title.]


Hello. Hello.

It's Pancake Day ... and I forgot to buy eggs this morning when I was shopping.

Fortunately I'm a better blogger than I am Domestic Goddess [I'm a better tight-rope walker than I am Domestic Goddess] and I've whisked together some appropriately themed egg/pancake-based nonsense to share.

The first is a collage:
I made this a few months back in response to having read the Dr.Seuss book Green Eggs and Ham for the book club I attend at my local art gallery.

It has nothing to do with the book. It's just an egg thing. [Because that's a thing. Right?]
This combines an iamge from a fashion magazine, some patterned paper and some elemnts fomr a school cookery book. 

One of the things I like about making scrappy collages is how - by taking things out of context and butting them together - you can imbue things with a sense of the ridiculous and even the profound, [often at the same time] simply through their odd juxtaposition. 

I really liked the idea that a hen's egg weighs 'enough'. 

And I reckon hens would agree. 

*For a carefully curated, hand selected, [my hands!] inspiring collection of paper scraps to use in your collage work then drop by the area of my Etsy shop dedicated to Vintage Paper + Pages. Or commission a bespoke pack of all your favourite elements. 
-------------------------------

In other egg news ... I was reading through some of my old Tweets this morning and came across the time I mentioned having just searched Google for where in the UK I could buy the US foodie zine Put A Egg On It ... and Google tried to offer me ... human egg donation sites


-------------------------------

And finally ... 

Yesterday as I was sorting out the box of vintage pages I use to create my Snipped Tales and I came across the following random scrap [which I shared on Instagram today]. 

I must have snipped it free from some story book or other at some point, but what perfect timing for it to resurface!

---------------------------------

If, unlike me, you have got eggs in the fridge today ... then happy flipping to you!

[Unless you're thinking about those other kinds of eggs. Maybe don't flip those.]

Julie

4 comments:

  1. lol! I am afraid I cheated and bought ready made pancakes (there's only me ) so had some today and the rest will do tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Shrove Tuesday I say 'why don't we have pancakes more often?' because I love them - especially with lemon and caster sugar sprinkled over the top. Love the quote about the size of an egg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! The thing I find about eggs and pancakes is that you never need as many as you think you will. I err on the other side from you and overstock, so we have a lot of scrambled eggs after Pancake Day (which I think is missing the point..)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done! And I forgot all about Shrove Tuesday until Thursday so ours were late. You have a great eye for the incongruous :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.