Wednesday 25 June 2014

Bang! and tap, tap, tap: Cardmaking with Christmas cracker gifts, a typewriter & a pinch of Minecraft


Hi you.

Today's creative project is brought to you by a typewriter, a Christmas crackers and a vague knowledge of Minecraft.  Don't ever say I don't make the effort ...

Early in 2013 I shared a few cards I'd made using the plastic gifts I'd saved from my Christmas crackers and some people said they wished I'd mentioned it earlier so they could have saved their tacky treasures.  So how does 6 months notice suit you? Because I've got another one for you today, plus links [at the end of this post] to all the others, in case you want a reminder.]

For the record: this kind of card only really works with the cheapy, pointless, kinds of cracker gifts ... if your family splashes out on those fancy ones filled with chocolate ... or silver charms etc ... you might not want to use those on your cards ... ;-)

Anyway ... here's the card in question:
I used a pre-embossed card [the hounds tooth design] but I had the chevron embossed section leftover on my desk and thought it would compliment it nicely. So I added that to the bottom along with a strip of washi:
I used a 3D foam pad to add the puzzle piece to the card and typed out a sentiment:

The minimal style of this is a little different to some of my other work, but I wanted it to appeal to the 17 year old Minecraft-loving birthday boy ... and I think it went down OK!

---------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed today's project: ...
  • Would you consider sharing it with someone who might like some inspiration for a boy's card? Share via Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter ... your voice! Any support is welcomed!
  • Make a note to save up those cracker gifts this year ... or try a similar idea with old game + puzzle pieces.   
  • Dig out your embossing folders and see what they can add to your next card.
And here's some more inspiration on the same theme ...
See you soon.

Julie :-)

2 comments:

  1. As a mom to a Minecraft fan teen boy, thanks! :D Shared to G+ and FB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am about as much use as a chocolate teapot on this one as I have no idea what Minecraft is :(, but I do like the bright sharpness of your card, Julie! That lemony yellow is great with the bright white and the black ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.