Saturday 26 March 2011

Overheard: I'm on the 'Drink Me' diet ... like Alice.

Hi, hi, hi.

Here, during my 'Spring Break' break, I really have no business thinking about work ... and yet this particular overheard is the ltest to the collection ... and is still making me smile ... so I thought I'd share it with you now regardless.

In my previous overheard post I bemoaned the fact that as I now have to sit near the front of lecture rooms, usually right near the lecturer, I hardly ever overhear any funny snippets of campus chatter. And it was all true ... until a fortnight ago.
Prior to a packed-out lecture, seated right in front of the podium, I was well within earshot of four lecturers ...

The scene: four lecturers [all male] were huddled around a lectern busily connecting up a laptop to the overhead projector. Judging by the conversation, two of the men had not seen each other in a while ...

Lecturer 1:
You've lost weight haven't you?

Lecturer 2: Yep. Three stone.


Lecturer 1: Wow. Is it that much?

Lecturer 2: Yeah ... but I have to lose another stone and a half yet.

Lecturer 1 [clearly bemused by the whole dieting concept]: Why do you 'have to' ... is there a particularly small hole you're wanting to fit through?

----------

Not only was it a great punchline to a conversation you don't very often hear men having ... it also made for a great 'Alice down the rabbit-hole' style of surreal image in my head.

And again ... I did my best nonchalant-I'm-in-no-way-smiling-at-the-conversation-I'm-not-meant-to-be-listening-into face while making a mental note to write it down the minute I got out of sight!
As soon as I catch any fresh real-life conversational gold ... you know you'll be the first to hear about it.

See you soon.

Julie :-)

[p.s: the photo is the tape measure belt I made myself a couple of years ago. If you click on the image it'll take you to a 'how-to' on it.]

2 comments:

  1. Now I can be 'off to bed' with a smile on my face. Good night eavesdropper x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. See it's ggofdto have your nose in a book at these times - you can pretend it's that you're smiling at *g* (Serial people watcher here!)

    Love that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.