Monday 23 April 2012

Happy Birthday Mr. Shakespeare

Hi, hi.

I know I said I had blogger's block, but if there's anyone who can spur me into putting pen to paper [OK, fingers-to-keyboard] ... it's Shakespeare, whose birthday is celebrated today.

So, in honour of wonderful old William I thought I'd dust off this old- but still much loved - project I made when Kirsty Neale and I used to run The Copy + Paste Project:

The tiny head shaped shrine is home to the quote:
 "I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a King of infinite space."
[Hamlet Act II, Scene 2]

It's one of the many quotes from Hamlet which has followed me around ever since I first studied it. The idea that no matter where you are, you can think yourself free.

Similarly the quote at the very top of the page is one of my all time favourites:
"...nothing either good nor bad, but thinking makes it so."

An ever-useful reminder of the power of thought and interpretation in any given situation.

I won't even attempt to say anything eloquent now ... there's no way to compete, so let me just say:

Happy Birthday Mr.S. Thanks for all y'know, the words ... and stuff!

Jx

-------------------------------

Feel free to leave your own favourite Shakespeare quotes, so we can all enjoy them today. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Sadly today is also the day he died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hamlet too as I studied it for a-level. I always liked the quotation - "one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." Taught me early on to be aware of fakes and players! I lost all faith in humanity through that short quote! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one of my favouritest things you've ever made - so glad to see it reappear today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote, I love the 'shrine' for it. I miss reading Shakespeare, I don't think I've read any since my English degree finished 8 years ago! Time to dust off a play and remind myself of his magic with words...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.