Wednesday 16 May 2012

Going Postal 2012: Art Journaling with security-envelope patterns

Hi, hi, hi.

My penultimate contribution to the the UKScrappers' Art Journey series is now available to read and download [here] from the forum.

And, fittingly for this week ... it has a postal theme! Surely you'd expect nothing less?

So today I'll talk you through one of the finished pages I created to illustrate my thoughts on art-journaling-with-postal-items:
The postal items used on the top half of this page have a very literal contribution as they came from the envelopes of contributor copies of magazines I recently had work published in ... and it's the magazines themselves which are the subject of the page.
So here the form matched the substance of the page:
The 'Great British Design' phrase was cut from a furniture brochure which still drops through the door each new season when we've never bought anything from their shop.

And here I created a rather spiffy postmark hat for the heroine of the page:
Meanwhile, at the bottom half of the page I swapped-out her handbag for a 'Printed Matter' stamped message from one of the envelopes I received.

I then filled in the gaps around her with a selection of circles cut from my collection [yes, I collect them] ... of security-envelope patterns:

For the record, you should know that I only collect the envelopes to use the patterns in my papercrafting ... I don't have an actual archive of pristine security envelopes stashed away.

Honestly!

The wording below came from the furniture brochure again and also remainder came from a magazine:

So, that's a closer look at this specific page but don't forget you can download my wider discussion about using postal items in general [free of charge] from the  Art Journey section of the UKScrappers forum under 'Step 19' .
--------------------------------------------

If this has whetted your appetite for using security envelopes on your projects: you could browse the Going Postal Pinterest board as they feature on there already, from last year, for example:
plus ...
  • I'll be back here tomorrow to share the 2nd art journal page I made for this week's Art Journey,
  • and ... in Friday's post I'll share another card - both of which also feature security-envelope patterns. 
Feel free to link up your own postal post anytime - or else share anything pertinently postal over on my Facebook page, and I'll see you tomorrow.

OK,  I'll leave you now, so you can go and find the silver lining [well, a patterned lining at least] within that pile of mail you've been avoiding filing away ...


Julie :-)

9 comments:

  1. I've made jewellery using stamps but I've never made anything from the actual envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this, really quirky and always so satifying to find a use for 'throwaways' xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to find something fun this week in my mail :) but I always enjoy checking what you create with those security envelopes! I just posted a page that fits right into the series:
    http://anounceofcreativity.blogspot.com/2012/05/dear-explorer.html
    Looking forward to the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to pay especially attention now. I might even collect all the stamps and postmarks for a week and work out how to use them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever noticed that there are different patterns on these envelopes. I'll pay more attention now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, just found your blog - love it! I'll be back with a cup of tea and a proper nosey,

    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this journal page, you sure know how to "go postal"! :) I have received a fun piece of mail in my box this week - a lovely card from a blogging friend with some washi tape in it!

    I linked up to you this evening... I showed my piece of mail for my 2012 Mail Art Exchange.

    Really enjoying your posts Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever noticed that there are different patterns on these envelopes. I'll pay more attention now!Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever noticed that there are different patterns on these envelopes. I'll pay more attention now!Gift Card envelopes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.