Friday 24 June 2011

Art Journal Challenge Week 21: Hobbies

Hello you.

How many have you messed around with? How many do you still still spend time with?

Hobbies that is ... hobbies ... of course!

That was the theme for the UKStampers art journal challenge our hobbies and how many we've had.
And I've had a lot, or at least I've tried out a lot including:
  • scrapbooking;
  • cardmaking;
  • art journaling;
  • collage;
  • cross-stitching;
  • jewellery making;
  • sewing;
  • patchworking;
  • blogging;
  • screenwriting ... to name but a few.
Basically ... if you can sit down in a warm room and do it and if it involves patterns, colours and words ... I'm there.
Which goes some way to explain the lack of sporty hobbies in that list ... the nearest I got to one of those was a few months of swimming once a week and a year or so of Tai Chi classes. But nothing lasting, nothing which has hung around like the crafty-side of things.

I've often had cause to wish that I could be more focused with my creative efforts.

I've thought that it must be great to be so 'into' one particular art/craft that you know beyond question that that's what you want to do forever. It must make choosing and sustaining a career so much simpler ... mustn't it?

But I just can't do it. I'm too flighty. I like too many things.  

Am I a 'Jack of all trades master of none' or  a 'Rennaissance crafter'? [Personally I prefer the latter ... but does it even matter anyway?].


One thing I do know, since I began blogging and contributing to magazines, is that:
  •  no matter which craft I'm working on ... one of my favourite parts is writing about it afterwards, getting to share it and encouraging others to try it out too.
And in that realisation ... I hope I've found a vocation after all!

See you soon.

Julie

5 comments:

  1. A lot of what you say resonates with me, but then you probably knew it would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of the fertile crossovers between all those wonderful creative efforts - that's where originality gets to be seen. And why I, and others I suspect, love coming here. :) A vocation indeed, for we keep being called back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know me I definitely don't have just one hobb.y :) Great page

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Love the textures and colors on this entry. I went out and bought some gesso when I saw how you rocked it in a bunch of journal entries- haven't opened the jar yet but it's on my list for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to say I've loved seeing your pages, they are gorgeous and inspiring too!

    annie b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.