Thursday 28 February 2013

My Month in Numbers 2013: February


Hello, hello.

Well here we all are again, counting the moments that count.

It was fun to see some debuts and some grand commitments to a year of Month-in-Numbering being made last month. You're all very welcome ... and I'll always forgive you if you don't manage every month in 2013 like some of you have pledged to do.

And if you just feel like joining in as a one-off then feel free ... I don't take a register ... I just enjoy your company on the occasions you can make it!

And, fortunately ... I managed to write a post myself this month [I'd be setting a poor example otherwise!] ... and here it is:

 3 = hours spent applying make-up, experimenting with vintage style hair-dos and attempting to follow jive-style dance steps at a 'Rockabilly Rosie' workshop:

2 = the number of victory rolls I managed to pin into my hair [above] after much twiddling, spraying with hairspray and assistance from the 2 extra hands of a big sister who knows what she's doing.
 
It was such a fun day, held in an arts and community space which was once a church hall and what with the surroundings and the hair, make up and music I felt partly like I was an extra from the set of Foyle's War and partly like we'd wandered into a tea break from when Grandma worked in the munitions factory during WW2.

As for the dancing part of the day .. well, I think it's  safe to say that we both knew our way around an eyeliner better than we do our right and left feet. All of which led to conversations such as:

Big sis: Do you know what you're doing? Because I don't.
Me: No. Not a clue. Just keep bouncing and moving and no one will know!

2 = the number of recipe books referred to during the making of a Valentine's night meal. Clearly I wasn't in charge of proceedings. I don't really do recipe books [I'm more of a 'throw stuff in' or 'just assemble things on a plate' kind of cook].

I did however do a mighty good job of stirring the a risotto James began making. And he would actually have made it all himself if I hadn't decided that we should have a dessert too - so he turned his attentions to that instead.

As our menu consisted of risotto and Prosecco ... I felt like it would only be fitting if we had a dessert ending in 'o' too. So we got the recipe book out and made ... Nigella's Dense Chocolate Loaf Cake-o.

OK, so I might have added the 'O' there ... but still ... I definitely made an  'Oooooo' sound when I ate it!

Just the 1 book read this month = Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch which was wonderful.

I know some of you like to follow up on book recommendations, so it might be useful for you to know I've been adding mine to a 'Books Read in 2013' Pinterest board I've made for myself. If you're on Pinterest too you could just repin them on your own 'Books to Read' board!

And I really do recommend Jamrach's Menagerie, despite a large proportion of the book being set on the high seas .... and I'm not a fan of the deep at all!

I don't want to give anything away but just be warned ... one night, after reading it before sleep, I dreamt of trying desperately, desperately, desperately to find some fresh water to give to a bird I'd rescued ... which then turned into a big fat fly.

I can't say this will happen to you ... but don't say you weren't warned!

£0.16 = the fine I've acquired on an overdue library book. Not the book above, but another I'm only part of the way through.

I couldn't tell you when I last had- if ever - a library book fine! I was horrified to realise I had forgotten to renew it.

*Turns away thoroughly shame-faced* *Tries especially hard to avoid eye contact with Sian*

10 = the number of items made featuring cork for an upcoming issue of Papercraft Inspirations magazine [Issue 113].
I've designed for the '10 Ways with ... ' feature many times now, and on previous occasions I've come up with 10 different ways to use: decorative pins; paper straws, cupcake cases, ruffles and more ...

And it's still always a creative challenge. As it should be! But, let me tell you ...

... you don't realise how big a number 10 actually is ... until you're on project number 5 ... and there's still 5 projects left to think up!

It's like a crafting decathlon.

Perhaps I should think about getting sponsorship from an energy drinks company? Or better still ... a  shoe manufacturer ...

£13.50 = the price paid for silver boots in the sale. I have a thing for metallic footwear and I've had plenty of gold and silver shoes in the past, but these are my first silver boots:
Aren't they special?

Now if only I had a silver bag or two .. or three ... to coordinate with them. Oh wait ... I do!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK then, those were mine. How about yours?
Here are the usual notes to consider:
 
If you write a Month in Numbers post of your own and want to leave a link for myself and others to come and visit then please bear in mind it's more fun if it's a shared experience.
  • When you swing by my blog to drop off your link then please leave a comment for me while you're here. Not because I'm needy ... but because it feels fair. Reciprocal. Please don't just paste and run!
  • Please link to my blog in your post. As much as I'd like to think that everyone who reads your blog already knows what 'My Month in Numbers' means... the truth is, they don't. So unless you explain where the idea comes from and how your readers can join you in doing the same next month, they are none the wiser.
  • Please take time at some point in the month to visit and comment on a few of the other posts too.
But most importantly ... remember to tell the story of your month ... in your words ... for you! 

And one final note [before you think I'm ignoring you!]:
  • I will be away from my computer Friday - Monday so I won't be able to read any posts, leave any comments, or pin any posts during that time.
  • But I will see to all that when I get back online after a long weekend away with friends. [Once I come down from the inevitable crafting-and-getting-all-my-meals-made-for-me induced high].
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you all soon, my lovely monthly-moment-counters.

Julie :-)

for-4-days

26 comments:

  1. Champion bargain hunter award for those boots! And library fines? Just look on it as a donation to a worthy cause and you won't feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those boots are stunning Julie x
    Great to see you trying new recipes I only managed 1 new one this month. http://sheenasscrapsandscribbles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/my-month-in-numbers-feb-x.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Rockability Rosie workshop? Sounds such fun!!!!!!! LOVE those boots! (glad I'm not the only one with several gold/silver handbags in the closet).......!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie that workshop sounds amazing! Can you get me some contact details please for the girls who run it? I am not on Facebook and so can't seem to register or get any more information! :(

    Sounds like a great month and the boots... well... anything sparkly and metallic is a-okay with me!

    http://nanna-kate.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/januebry.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. S'alright! I don't really believe in library fines. Especially if you grovel :)

    Those boots are excellent. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great boots! A girl can never have too much glitter in her life ;-)
    The workshop sounds good fun, and I like the look of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those boots... can't believe how much you paid for them!!!! Love your blog... must have ago at the month in numbers thing... then I'll link you... thank you for being so inspirational!
    Hugs
    Kim M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your post as always. The chocolate cake sounds devine!
    Here's my months numbers http://scraphappens-dawn.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/february-month-in-numbers.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your month. Lots of fun being had there...I hate library fines. I have almost $10 (over a 7 year period) which is the amount they let you get to before they MAKE you pay. UGH! Happy Day!
    http://yourshineisbeautiful.blogspot.com/2013/02/month-in-numbers-february-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... you had a fabulous month! :) Great things going on.

    I totally forgot about Valentine's Day. LOL. Should have counted something there.

    This is the first time I've tried, so I hope I'm doing this okay.

    http://scrapsandsass.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-month-in-numbers-february-2013.html

    Looking forward to seeing everyone's compilations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab numbers - that cakes looks absolutely scrummy and well done on the boots bargain. My numbers are here - http://kkfantasticplace.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-month-in-numbers-february.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous hair do! Lol at the conversation with your big sis. :D
    Cute cork hearts, love the colour combinations.
    I like Julie J´s take on the fine and lol at Sian´s groveling suggestion. I´m a librarian too. ;)

    Here are my numbers:
    http://keepitsimplemakeitgreat.blogspot.com.ar/2013/03/feb-2013-summary-march-2013-plans.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not really a pretty shoe person, preferring the beauty of the colourful Doc Marten or the comfort of the 'goth/emo' boot but I have to say....a bit of love for the sparkly boots. I can even see myself in them!!!!
    Loving the 50's hair. Hope u had a fun (and productive!!) weekend :-)

    here are my numbers...http://www.littlemissnutjob.blogspot.ie/2013/02/minfebruary-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the boots and I think Nigella meant to have an "o" at the end of cake. Hope you have a truly glorious weekend with your friends. I have my numbers up as well http://beglorious.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-numbers.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those boots look so classy - as you do in that Rockanility Rosie shot. I'm not owning up to how much I've paid in fines on library books :(.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hope you had a fabulous weekend - wearing glitzy boots? Love the cork coasters

    my numbers are on http://helenascreativemaven.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/february-recounted.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a wonderful Valentine's dinner :) and I will definitely be following your Book board.... your numbers made me smile more than once this month. Here are mine:
    http://anounceofcreativity.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-month-in-numbers-february-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hate getting library fines as well, but when we get them they are always huge because they'll be at least ten books with all the kids stuff. I console myself with the thought that it's still way cheaper than buying heaps of books. Love the sneak peak of your cork, and yes, I can only imagine how difficult it is to come up with 10 ways.

    THanks fro hosting us all. I've posted my numbers: http://mgstebbins.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/my-month-in-numbers-february.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking forward to your cork creation in PI.
    Here's link to my numbers - still doing it in my Smash a bit more co-ordinated this year than last
    http://handmadebykirsty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/february-in-numbers.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fabulous number of yours as usual.

    Here are my numbers

    http://tamarastitterings.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/february-in-numbers_5.html

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Julie, I love this post and those boots! a-may-zing!
    I am one of those that 'joins in' in the very non joining in sort of way but forgets to post! I have remembered this month though with this post
    http://miriamrogers.co.uk/?p=7928
    Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love, love, love those boots!!!
    rinda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Entertaining numbers as always :) I love the sound of that workshop! I've always loved that era x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally - here is my month in numbers - http://mrsbeee.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-month-in-numbers-2013-february.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julie! I made it to the MIN party :)

    That hairstyle looks awesome on you, and what a fun idea for a class :)

    I'm going to check out your pinned books!

    Here is my link :

    http://gingerslifeofspice.blogspot.ca/2013/03/month-in-numbers-february-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. So late, so late! But here are my Feb numbers finally!

    http://juliaheald.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/my-month-in-numbers-february.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.