Thursday 15 April 2010

Overheard: Crouching Squashball, Hidden Dragon Fruit

I was waiting in a corridor outside a lecture theatre when my trained, overhearing, ears tuned into a group of students having a rather [deliberately?] pretentious conversation. I gathered they had a presentation to give in which they had to come up with suitable metaphor as a means to describe something. I didn't quite catch exactly what it was they were finding a metaphor for .... I'll hazard a guess that it was a metaphor for 'Life' in general ... but you can make up your own mind:


Male student: "We should say it's like a game of squash, where the black ball smashes into the white wall of 'Hope'".

Female student: "I thought we could say it was like a like a dragon fruit. You know? ....Pretty on the outside and ...".

Male student, apparently put-off his stride and rather surprised that someone else had an idea:"What's that got to do with squash?".

Female student, slightly wary: "Nothing, it's a dragonfruit".



Illustration: ProMarkers, fineliner; white gel pen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always amazed at the things you overhear with your trained ear
    Stunning illustration.
    ps verification word is coati do you think it goes with hati?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.